Monday 30 April 2012

The Juice Fountain

Grandad's Apple Tree

Carrots to last a month at least
                                                                       I have borrowed a juice fountain from some good friends of mine (thanks H&G!).  The name Juice Fountain generated an image in my mind of putting fruit and vegetables in the top and seeing a lovely arc of juice flowing from the spout into my waiting glass.  BUT NO.  This juicer is not for wimps.  This juicer kicks serious butt.  This juicer is a monster.......devouring whole carrots and apples in a few spins of its ferocious spinning blade.

The monster.......




50/50 Carrot and Apple juice








      The resulting juice is delicious.  I never knew carrots could taste so good!  And I am amazed at how sweet pure apple juice is - almost sickeningly so.
My favourite mix so far is 60/40 carrot/apple, with a 2cm cubed piece of ginger and one stick of celery.  I also like orange juice (although I learned the hard way that putting the whole orange in produces a bitter juice, although it's very impressive watching the juicer demolish the oranges).
My initial motives for juicing were to (1) get more vegetable nutrients into the stomachs of the smaller members of the house, (2) increase my energy levels.  Partial success on the first front - Keith likes anything with apple in it, but Nicole hates the lot so far.  Great success on the second front - for the first time in a while, I don't feel the need to have a rest after lunchtime every day.
Carrot pulp in the chicken's feed bowl
The chickens were offered the leftover pulp generated by the juicing process but they declined to eat it.  Oh well.  That's the price we pay for living in a democracy - you can't please everybody all of the time ;)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment