Tuesday 10 April 2012

Garden Pizza


I always struggle with the same issue when making pizzas at home - how do I get all the ingredients on it without making it so tall that it won't fit in my mouth?

All the vegetables you see (except the mushroom) came from either our garden or my parents' garden - they kindly went on holidays recently, allowing us to harvest all their veggies.

The pizza base is not covered simply in tomato sauce, it is in fact tomato puree covering up basil pesto.  (Foolish me though that the kids wouldn't notice the pesto if it was disguised with tomato paste).  Then there is roasted capsicums, silverbeet, mushroom and fresh tomatoes.  To appease the carnivores in the house, some bacon and a generous topping of mozzarella was added.  I would have loved to have added anchovies and olives too, but unfortunately the height of the pizza was getting out of control.

Sadly the younger members of the household did not appreciate the wealth of goodness contained in the "Garden Pizza", but to their credit, they did pick all the bacon and cheese off and eat that.  They refused to eat the pizza base because it had "green stuff" on it.   Note to self - use thicker layer of tomato-puree-camouflage next time....

I read in a parenting pamphlet on fussy eating that you need to offer a new food up to 15 times before a child will accept it and eat it.  Riiiiiiight.  This is #1 for Garden Pizza.  All the more for me if they don't like it :)


No comments:

Post a Comment