Tuesday 8 May 2012

Beetroot Juice and Home-made Laundry Liquid

I tried a new addition to the juicer this week - beetroot.  I stuck with the 60/40 carrot/apple with a hint of ginger and celery, and added one whole beetroot.  Sure makes a pretty colour!  It tastes great, too.  It's a winner in my book.  The only advice I would give is to NOT consume it while wearing a white Tshirt.  Which brings me to my next discovery - Homemade Laundry Liquid.  I first read about this in the Women's Weekly (Monthly) which my Nanan treats me to each month.  The article was by Rhonda Hetzel, and the recipe for the liquid, as well as a wealth of other money-saving hints for the home can be found here: http://down---to---earth.blogspot.com.au/
I first tried making the powder without taking it to the next step of heating and liquifying it, but that didn't work as well, as some of the soap flakes would not dissolve in the washing machine and so I ended up with soap flakes in the filter.  The lesson from this is "Don't be lazy, Kate!
3L bottle formerly holding milk

10L container













If you follow the recipe on Rhonda's site, you will find that the percentages I have stated on the bottle in the picture are approximations.  It was simply easier than writing 1.25% twice.  Hmmm I detect the "Lazy Chip being employed again.  The cost of making this laundry liquid is way cheaper than buying detergent.  And it works.  I wash in hot or warm water now instead of cold, but I'm OK with that, as warm/hot water is the best for removing oil-based stains, and the cost savings of making the liquid far outweigh the cost of heating the water.

1 comment:

  1. We have been making our own household cleaners as well. It is such a joy to be moving towards a more self-sufficient home. I think we will try it.

    ReplyDelete